The year is 2021 and technology is growing at an exponential rate. People are coming from all other industries and jumping into tech. Gone are the days of obtaining a degree in one particular field and staying in it until one decides to retire. What brings someone who once dreamed of working as an investment banker, accountant or brand manager for the biggest corporations to one day decide to create phone apps and run websites for businesses?
Is it because a lot of the awesome and fun jobs are actually not behind the walls of an investment firm’s cubicles, but rather in the comfort of your own home? The big names such as Google, Apple and Microsoft must come to mind when thinking of the industry but think about how thrilling it would be to spearhead an Airbnb project or make user experience easier for sites such as Shopify or Etsy. Not going back to school for another few years? No need.
Think about it. For those less than 10 years removed from college, Uber was yet a reliable way of getting around. How about 15 years ago? Do you remember CDs? Music streaming services were not the first places you went to listen to your favorite artist’s latest song. That’s the thing, the industry is always changing and with that comes the need for new ideas and people. Why wait four years to learn a new skill that can be learned within a year?
Asia Clayton, an IT Project Manager for Spectrum Health System in Michigan chose to go into IT early when she realized the career would allow her to live life on her terms. “I knew one day, I wanted to travel the world with my now husband and kids while creating programs for one of the country’s biggest companies. I decided to look into coding while in college. I have created websites for people while on a beach with my family. The beauty of it now is that there are so many jobs that do not require a four year degree. That is how fast this industry is changing. It’s exciting really”
So far, we have music, health care and ride sharing services. There is more. Take a look at a 2020 list from BusinessInsider.com for a few of the top jobs in the industry based on salary, job openings and employee satisfaction.
- Front End Engineer
- A front-end engineer, also known as a front-end web developer or designer, selects, installs and tests the user interface elements of a website.
- Median base salary: $105,240
- Applications Engineer
- The primary role of an Application Engineer is to design and improve software. They perform need evaluations with clients to understand the unique goals of each project and then implement them after careful assessment.
- Median base salary:$76,854
- Scrum Master
- In simple terms, the Scrum Master can be defined as the servant-leader of the Scrum Team. The individual is responsible for ensuring that the team adheres to the theory, practices, and rules of Scrum.
- Median base salary: $100,000
- Automation Engineer
- Automation engineers design, program, simulate and test automated machinery and processes in order to complete exact tasks.
- Median base salary: $85,456
There are a number of ways to leap into the always changing industry and it can be overwhelming while seeking out information. Start here and schedule your information session with a Sabio representative today.
Want to learn more about Sabio? Attend an info session where you will have the opportunity to ask questions Sign up here sabio.la/info
Ready to start coding? Free coding classes available to get you started sabio.la/free-coding-courses