By: Liliana Monge
The many brave women and men that serve our country in the military are eligible for a number of different educational benefits once they are done with their active-duty service. One of the most popular military veteran benefits is the G.I. Bill, which is a registered trademark of the U.S. Veteran Administration.
Back in the fall of 2018, Sabio received a facility code from the Veteran Administration (VA) and is able to accept various military benefits from veterans, and other military-connected individuals looking to attend a great coding bootcamp.
However, there are other awesome Veteran benefits that Sabio is also able to accept like:
Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Services (VR&E)
Here is some important information about Chapter 31 from a VA information bulletin:
“The VR&E program is authorized under Title 38, U.S. Code, Chapter 31. It is referred to as the Chapter 31 program.
It assists entitled Veterans with service-connected disabilities and an employment handicap to prepare for, find, and maintain a job. It also helps entitled transitioning Servicemembers. If you are a Veteran or Servicemember with a service-connected disability and not currently able to work, VR&E also offers services to help you live as independently as possible.
Basic Period of Eligibility
There is a 12-year basic period of eligibility for VR&E services.
How Is Entitlement Established?
You are entitled to services if:
- You have a 20 percent service-connected disability AND
- You have an employment handicap. If your service-connected disability is only 10 percent, you must have a serious employment handicap to be eligible.
What Is a Rehabilitation Plan?
This plan provides a detailed outline of VR&E program services. It is individualized to meet the needs of the Veteran or Servicemember. The plan is a signed agreement between the recipient and VA. The following service delivery options may be included in a rehabilitation plan:
What Other Benefits May Be Provided?
After the plan is enacted, the VRC will provide ongoing counseling, assistance and coordination of services.
- Tutorial assistance
- Job-seeking skills training
- Medical and dental referrals to the Veterans Health Administration
- Adjustment counseling
- Payment of training allowance
- Other services required to help achieve a career and live as independently as possible
How Can You Apply?
- Apply online:
- Fill out VA Form 28–1900, “Disabled Veterans Application for Vocational Rehabilitation.” You can find the form at https://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/vba-28-1900-are.pdf
- Mail the form to your closest VA regional office.”
Serving the great men and women that have served our country wide pride and honor is our greatest honor. At Sabio we have a rich history of working with military veteran and, and other military-connected individuals.
Please feel free to reach out to us with any questions you might have about Chapter 31 benefits!